Wednesday, October 14, 2020

I voted

 I voted by mail in Texas last week. I did not vote for someone who has lied more than 20,000 times in the last four years. I did not vote for someone who continues to separate families at the border. I did not vote for someone who disparages women and people of color and anyone who happens to disagree or challenge him. I did not vote for someone who pays less income tax than I do. I did not vote for someone who infected others with a deadly virus. I did not vote for someone who wants to take away affordable health care from millions of people during a pandemic. I did not vote for someone who is packing the supreme court during an election. But I did vote. By mail. Without risking exposure or risk exposing others. In Texas. I voted in a state in the midst of active vote and voter suppression by the governor. I voted. Could this be the third time I voted for someone who wins the popular vote but is not elected President? To paraphrase Charles Dickens, it is the best of times (for too few probably) … it is the worst of time (for too many probably) … should I escape to Canada or move to Bali where differences are respected and embraced?  "do I dare disturb the  universe?" (thanks to T. S. Eliot). Do I dare? I am most certainly disturbed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment