Wednesday, May 5, 2021

End of Semester Thoughts (EOST)

 

Given the delay between the spring semester and the start of the summer semester, I have been thinking about a number of things, such as how my students have progressed, the situation with regard to the pandemic, and things I thought I understood but had reason to doubt my thinking. A common thread runs through those things and it is encapsulated in what is known in the instructional design community as the ADDIE (analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation) model. ADDIE is a generic process thought to be useful in addressing challenging problems and it is used in a number of disciplines. Sometimes, ADDIE is applied in a rigorous manner that discourages innovation and can result in less than optimal solutions. I vaguely recall writing that one might better think of ADDIE as a guide, like a caddie in golf who can assist the golfer and help the golfer improve. The extra ‘c’ at the beginning of CADDIE might be thought to stand for ‘continuous’ or ‘comprehensive’. An effective problem-solving process is an ongoing enterprise that often revisits earlier stages and revises the plan as things evolve and the plan unfolds – whence ‘continuous’ for the initial ‘c’. Or, an effective problem-solving process is comprehensive in that the entire context surrounding the problem is taken into consideration. To be truthful, I cannot recall why I added the initial ‘c’ and dubbed instructional design processes as CADDIE. I grow old and my memory grows weak.

I think about advice I often give my graduate students, which is a version of advice I was given. Identify a central problem, examine what has been done to address that problem, select an under-addressed small part of that problem, and try to contribute something useful to make progress in that specific area – i.e., examine, understand, plan, and act – oh, a new acronym – EUPA … sounds almost like yippee … as in finally something I can do. Or perhaps it is a strange variant of eureka, which is Greek for “I found it” which is allegedly what Archimedes said when he fell into a well and discovered a solution for calculating the volume of an irregularly shaped body. Who knows if any of that is true? Who still cares about truth these days? We should all care about truth these days. Definitions only lead to other definitions – I think I read this in one of Wittgenstein’s posthumous publications. Facts, on the other hand can lead to other facts and eventually to a deeper understanding of something puzzling. Truth … well, truth shows itself in what one does, as Bouwsma wrote in an unpublished journal, “Surely your life will show what you think of yourself,” and as Ruth’s words to Naomi reflect, truth shows itself in Ruth following Naomi into an uncertain future. Truth is not something personal …. It is something others can see and understand and judge, which is what I have gathered from Wittgenstein, Bouwsma and Ruth. It seems to me that many are off course with regard to truth, facts and definitions, but then I am off course in these remarks about CADDIE.

The thought I had involved my excursion into system dynamics when I was in Bergen, Norway, which is home to the Wittgenstein archives, by the way. Anyway, I learned from folks such as Pål Davidsen and Erling Moxnes that when a system dynamicist goes about creating a system dynamics model of a complex situation an initial step is to create a causal loop model or influence diagram of the situation. This proceeds by asking key people involved with the situation four questions: (a) what factors influence this situation, (b) how would you describe each factor, (c) what relationships exist among these factors, and (d) how would you describe those relationships? Should we create an acronym for these questions, such as FDRD (try pronouncing that with a mouth full of pebbles). Those four questions seem applicable to a wide variety of problems and can help guide a problem solver to an effective solution approach, which is how I thought about CADDIE. The name of this game is helping problem solvers develop good solutions. What is a good solution? One that works … one that can be replicated … one that can be sustained and applied to similar problems – a good solution is scalable and sustainable – IMLTHO (in my less than humble opinion, which is pronounceable … try it on for size). 

Back to the thought that drove me to make notes. I was thinking about how different people think about the purpose of education, and then how those different conceptions might be put into a system dynamics model. I am certainly not the first to have such an idea; see for example, Jennifer Sterling Groff’s model). My thought has a twist, however, which is how I like my gin and tonic, with twist of lemon or lime … and it is okay to hold the gin as I am no longer drinking alcoholic beverages, unlike in my misbegotten youth growing up in East Tennessee.

There is of course an issue involving groups of people as opposed to working with individuals, but there do seem to be patterns. Do you remember the four questions – not the ones recited at the Passover Seder but the ones mentioned earlier?

So, how might a parent with children describe the purpose of education:

a)      Key factors are include finding a rewarding job, being qualified to pursue higher education, getting accepted into a reputable university, looking to future job requirements, satisfying inclinations and desires, having a liveable income, and so on. Keeping the list to about ten or so key factors is important.

b)      Factor descriptions – these vary from parent to parent and also from child to child and teacher to teacher so I leave this an exercise for those bored with this discussion (there goes my audience).

c)      Key relationships – again this will vary somewhat but looking for those relationships that seem to be most influential is worthwhile and probably revealing.

d)      Relationship descriptions – well, what counts as a liveable income will vary a lot … for a despicable few, enough is never enough … but again building this causal influence diagram is a worthwhile activity for parents, educators, students, teachers, administrators, and policy makers.

If one has multiple such causal influence diagrams for different constituencies, the twist I wish to add is to see what commonalities might exist across different constituencies. I do not consider my own case to be at all representative. I wanted to pursue a career as a philosopher professor so I would have summers off to go hiking and camping in the mountains, but there were no jobs and those that did exist certainly did not lead to job security or the accumulation of wealth. So I gave software engineering and programming a try having been through IBM’s programming school in Kansas City. That did lead to jobs but they were not exactly satisfying. So I tried teaching computer science for a number of year with limited success and discovered expert systems and artificial intelligence which led to a position at the Air Force Human Resources Laboratory and long-term and well-funded projects involving efforts to automate parts of instructional design and development, again with some success until labs were consolidated; then I escaped to the University of Bergen, initially on a Fulbright research fellowship. The point of this short sketch of my own case is that education is an ongoing process and an individual’s educational and life goals can and do change.

SO … so, the real question is how best to educate youth for a changing future. That is not how folks generally think about education. Let’s develop an educational system that helps improve a child’s chance for a good job, or helps improve the nation’s likely productivity in years to come, or helps improve our children’s ability to lead happy and satisfying lives. So what is it going to be? Build wealth or live happily? Of course it is not that simple. It is what Bouwsma wrote: “Surely your life will show what you think of yourself” and “the world may gladden your heart, but it will surely make you cry.” Or as Wittensteint wrote: “the world of the happy is not the same as the world of the unhappy.”

Here is another quotation from T. S. Eliot’s “The Love Song of J. Alfred Profrock:”

And indeed there will be time

For the yellow smoke that slides along the street,

Rubbing its back upon the window-panes;

There will be time, there will be time

To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;

There will be time to murder and create,

And time for all the works and days of hands

That lift and drop a question on your plate;

Time for you and time for me,

And time yet for a hundred indecisions,

And for a hundred visions and revisions,

Before the taking of a toast and tea.

 

The truth, however, is there is not time … one must choose, one must live, and one ought to live a life in pursuit of truth, according to verifiable and widely accepted facts, and aligned with a definition of a person as an individual with a mind capable of rational thought and a body capable of caring for others.

 

Mike Spector

May 5, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment